When Austen was around 8-9mon I out a 1/2 tsp or less of cinnamon in her oatmeal. Normally I put a little bit of brown sugar or maple syrup but I decided to give an extra treat. We all know babies love to feed themselves and they get it everywhere. Her face was covered in oatmeal and she ate it all. When I wiped her face, everywhere the oatmeal touched her skin was red from irritation. First I freaked thinking it was hot but I knew I let it cool and she would have screamed. I wondered why the oatmeal made her face inflamed, it had never happened before. I thought about the cinnamon being in there for the first time but I was like nah! Just to be safe I've never added cinnamon again and she was fine. At the AV fair, I gave A a piece of churro (oh boy did she enjoy it). Very quickly that skin irritation was back. I knew it had to be the cinnamon and yup there it was all over the internet, Cinnamon allergies! Something I believed was uncommon is common. I read that to wait a week and introduce the allergen again to be positive. I gave her a bite of applesauce with cinnamon and the skin irritation was back. Thankfully no anaphylactic reaction. She gets a skin irritation and it doesn't bother. No more cinnamon for A, I don't want to chance it. Oh, the reaction occurs almost instantly but goes away within 15-30min.
Side note: She is not allergic to strawberries, peanuts, soy, or any other common allergens
No comments:
Post a Comment
Come on... talk to me =)