Texas was great. Though you know when you go on vacation and you feel like you need a vacation from the vacation??? That is what happened here! The only time I didn't feel like this after a vacation was when Gav and I went to CO =) Maybe it was because Jolie, Sara and I were all pregnant? Maybe because Sara and I had a child already? Maybe we just knew what we needed... rest and great company =) I cannot wait to visit again...
For starters, I LOVE my parents house in TX. It has to be on an half acre+ lot, with a huge lake (McRae Lake in Conroe, TX) steps away from the back door. It was serene (minus hot, humid weather that didn't go away at night). We were about 40min away from Houston (where my mom's family is located). Gav enjoyed fishing, watching papa burn trash (yes burn... so against my beliefs but enjoyable and anything seems to go out there), run around, find insects (as Gav says) and lizards. The neighbor kid was real sweet to let Gav tag along as they cleared around the lake and he, Lamar, collected critters for Gav to see and pulled out his fishing pole to fish with him. A ran around in the grass and pointed at the water saying "wa-wee" over and over. She looked so tiny in the middle of the lawn.
We only spent a couple of FULL days at the house. Most days we would wake up and the kids would explore outside while we waited for everyone to wake up (A was up by 7-730 everyday). Usually around noon we headed into the city to visit family and back home around 6 or 7. At night we'd hang outside watching trash burn with the neighbors or watch a movie. We didn't call it a night til around 11ish.
Some of the highlights was at Grandma Gena's and papa Tommy's house. Most of the family came there and it was kid friendly. Gav played on the swing and Bella and A were in the dirt. Anything that kept the kids happy and I didn't ave to worry about them breaking anything was great! We also spent 2 days in Mississippi. That is where my Grandpa Lee lives. This was A's first time meeting him and Gav's 3rd but he was too little to remember. With more open land and 2 cousins to play with, the kids had a ball. Gav had a great time riding on the back of my grandpa's powered wheelchair around the property and A spent her time pressing the button to honk the horn on it. Back in TX, we were supposed to take a trip to Galveston (beach) but the weather was hot and no shade at the beach so we went to the Banana Bend. Its a big lake with a beach side and covered picnic tables. I didn't see Gav much that day. He was a fish with all his cousins and A preferred the sand and ice chest... the water in that chest was a beautiful mess at the end of the day.
I forgot to mention the BEST part... My mom and I DROVE to TX. Yes we are crazy but it was crazy fun! We left Thur after I gave my class their final. Made to El Paso that night, stayed in a hotel and drove 9 more hrs the next day to the house, and did the same on the way home. The kids were awesome. We stopped for gas and maybe 1 or 2 extra potty breaks (definitely a lunch break). The kids watched movies and colored. Gav and I made sock puppets the night before so they were a big hit in the car. Sheila kept me company while everyone slept when I drove... the only time they napped was when I drove [[ugh]]. On the way home we enjoyed River Walk in San Antonio and stocked up on a few fireworks in New Mexico (the only place that sells them year around).
It was a great 12 days, not a dull moment. I can't wait to go back and sit at the house. I thank my parents SO much for this awesome trip. It involved me turning in grades immediately after the test, dealing with a few whiny students because they didn't like their grade and finding someone to cover my lab while I was gone but it was all well worth it =)
The Texas album is up
No comments:
Post a Comment
Come on... talk to me =)