Sunday, May 10, 2009

Welcome Austen Reese Sparks

Photobucket
Well here is how Saturday May 9th 2009 started; Nicole wakes up at about 5am and is having a few contractions. Nothing regular yet and nothing to worry about. She has had contractions off and on for the last few days so we don't look too much into it. We planned on having a BBQ for mothers day at about 3pm today. So we wake up, have breakfast and get the day started as usual. We had a few things to do before the BBQ including getting all the food and drinks. At about 1pm we return home after running all the errands. Nicole gets the drinks on ice and I decide to mow the yard before everyone shows up. I get half way done with the back yard and Nicole comes to the back door and says "we might need to go to the hospital my contractions are becoming more intense and are about 10 min apart." So of course being that I am in the middle of mowing the lawn, I tell her to go call and see what the hospital recommends that we do. Of course, since we have a scheduled c-section they want us to come in. They tell her that we may not need to stay, but they do need to check her out. So I stop everything, leave the lawn mower in the middle of the yard and head to the hospital. Once we get to the hospital they run the usual tests and bring in the doctor. The doctor says that Nicole appears to be in the begining stages of labor. The doctor then tells us that we have 2 options, we can either do the c-section immediately or we can go home and wait. My first thought is well it is only 3pm we can still have a BBQ and maybe we won't have to come back in until tuesday, the scheduled day. So I ask the doctor "what are the chances of us getting home and having to turn right back around?" The doc gives me the confused face and says "your guess is as good as mine." So Nicole and I decided to stay put and have the c-section done immediately. Meanwhile back at the house everyone is waiting around for the BBQ. So I call and relay the message that the baby was coming today and the BBQ would have to go on without us. Nicole is admitted to the hospital and we go into the surgery. Austen Reese Sparks was born at 4:36pm, 7lbs 8oz, 19in long. Mom, baby, and I are in post-op until about 6:45pm. Then Gavin got to meet his sister and gave her lots of hugs and kisses. Friends and family all showed up about 8pm and left at about 9pm. Then the real work began...Nicoles vitals were checked every hour on the hour, baby Austen wanted to eat at least once per hour, and there were machines in the room that are placed there to purposely make it impossible to sleep.
Today was better all of the machines are gone, Austen slept more but ate just as frequently. Below are some pictures from our first couple of day together. The album will be uploaded wednesday after we get back home from the hospital.

Preparing for Surgery

Freshly Out of Mommys Tummy

Gavin meets his lil' sister

1 day old just hanging out

Very Hungry

Mommy, Big Brother and Baby Austen

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, you received the best Mother's day gift ever!

    While you were giving birth, Priscilla and I an family were participating in the Revlon 5k walk/run for women's cancer.

    We are blessed!

    We will share your love and joy with the rest of the RCIA family!!

    Richard and Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. We forgot to add ...Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...just like her mom!

    We have a grandkid named, Reese, too.

    ReplyDelete

Come on... talk to me =)